Thursday, December 11, 2008

quiqe fix for slow computer

This morning a neighbor asked me if my Internet access was really, really slow the last couple days. (We subscribe to the same ISP.) I said no, it's been just fine. Then I offered him the same suggestion I offer most folks who complain about connectivity problems: power-cycle your modem and router.

In other words, disconnect the power cords from both, wait about 10 seconds, and then plug them back in. In a minute or two, your network will be up and running again, and your Internet access might be its good old speedy self. I say "might be" because there are loads of other possible culprits for pokey Internet connections.

For example, you might have a spyware problem. Windows' Internet settings might be FUBAR (or at least less than optimal). If you're connecting via a wireless router, there could be range issues (see How to Troubleshoot Your Home Network for help with that one).

In most cases, however, it's probably just a router and/or modem in need of rebooting. For the record, my neighbor told me the power-cycling trick worked like a charm. Hmm, maybe I should send him a bill? Nah, I'll just give him a link to Hassle-Free PC. Feel free to do likewise for friends and relatives who need answers to common PC problems!


http://www.pcworld.com/article/155256/A_Quick_Fix_for_Slow_I.html?tk=rss_howto

No comments:

Post a Comment

Custom Search
Powered By Blogger